Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I did it!!!

Okay, many of you already know about my plot. I just wanted to let you all know that it was a complete success! You want details, do ya? Okay...

I have been attempting, unsuccessfully, for many years to surprise my husband. He prides himself on his ability to figure things out. You can't watch any kind of suspense movie with him, because he will figure out the twist before it happens and ruin it for everyone else. Well, I have not had any success with surprises... until today! Let me enlighten you.

Back in November, we were watching TV and saw an ad for the Bon Jovi/Daughtry concert on April 15. (His b-day is 4/21.) With Jeremy between jobs at the time, he never guessed that I would take his comment "That would be a great birthday present" seriously. Little did he know that I made arrangements to purchase tickets that very next day! You see, Jeremy has a bit of a man crush on Jon Bon Jovi. I knew I couldn't let the opportunity pass.

I didn't tell anyone at all for a couple of months for fear of letting the secret slip, but I started getting excited and blabbed a bit. By today, most of the people I know knew about my surprise. Except Jeremy! There were a couple of close calls in the last week or so, when I was sure he would figure things out. He even asked me point blank last week if I got tickets for him, and I lied! It was one of the hardest things I have ever done! (I'm pretty sure I am forgiven now.) What saved me is the fact that I am such a bad gift giver and liar. He could tell something was up, but I have always been so pitiful with my gifts that he assumed I was planning some "stupid surprise party." Again. But not this time! Darin and Amy watched the boys for us, and Amy tried to discuss plans covertly on Sunday, and Jeremy caught on that she was being secretive. He thought that she was going to talk about some problem that Noah was having at school. He got all concerned about it until he slept on it, then realized that a plot was brewing. But once again, he thought it was some "stupid surprise party," and didn't figure out the truth.

Now we get to today. Jeremy broke one of our TV's when we moved, so he knew we were getting a new one. I then "surprised" him by buying the biggest TV in the store. (What was I thinking!?) So he thought that was his birthday gift. We were unloading it at 5pm when I told him that we needed to hurry and get dressed for the concert. He got the biggest grin I have ever seen on his face, and I knew that he hadn't known. I was so proud of myself!

Anyway, we went to the concert, which was incredible! (Except for the spilled beer on my purse and shoe.) He told me that this was the best birthday gift anyone has ever given him. :) I did, however, make sure to inform him that I could never top it, and I was retiring from the surprise business. It was so fun!

By the way, Jon Bon Jovi has aged very well. Richie Sambora has not.

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi! We haven't met person to person yet, but I am stalking your blog;) I'm glad you have decided to start one because it is the quickest way to get to know someone!

Welcome to Alameda and hopefully we will meet soon!

Tamika said...

Hi Amanda! I am glad that you have a blog now, I hope that you are all adjusted and doing well at Alameda.

Cris said...

Amanda! I am so happy to find you here! I was excited when Jeremy started his blog, but I'm thrilled that you have started one! Just reading "6 going on 16" made me miss you all so much. :) Hope Norman is treating you well!

Mel said...

Hi - I met you a couple wks. ago, I am friends w/ Michelle. Anyway, sounds like you guys had a great time at the concert. Happy blogging.

McKenzie said...

Hey there!! Congrats on the surprise for Jeremy! Clete is exactly like that and I can't lie either... maybe someday I will achieve what you have :)

The McDowells said...

Hi Amanda! I am glad to see you have a blog! I didn't hear about Pam Anderson on the track, but I am sure I will! I have only talked to Seth once and he sounded like they are having fun.

Unknown said...

Time to update :)

Michelle said...

Yeah! I just found your blog- Welcome to the blogging world. It's pretty fun. I wish I would have done it a long time ago. Glad you are part of the "in crowd" now! :)

Chelf said...

Lurking, and enjoying the blog. Cool birthday present. I would have loved to go to that concert!

Sigh.

Come visit mine anytime!